Hi, this is Jay. I'm the Siskel to Kristin's Ebert today. As a true connoisseur of films, my favorites are an eclectic group. Here they are...
If you were to slice up America through the 60's, 70's and 80's, this would be it.
P.S. I watched most of the early news reels in person. You can do the math on my age.

Although it is one of the most realistic films on war, the impact for me was the sacrifice that so many Americans made for the world.
I remember the original broadcast that Apollo 13 made while in transit to the moon. Then we were kept out of the loop on a lot of the true drama of the flight. Watching the film allowed me to see what really went on.
Anytime you get to see Kevin Costner swinging around a jail like a monkey, it's worth the price of the ticket.
We all wanted to be as cool as Ferris when we were growing up. 
One of my all time favorite films. The ending scene of the young Beethoven running through the forest and then floating on a pond watching the stars is one of the best ever.

Mr. Spielberg before he was famous. I think of this film every time I pass a tanker truck on a two lane road.

I have just one word to say about The Kite Runner. Responsibility.

Starting with the opening scene of bugs splatting on the windshield, I giggle like a schoolgirl through this entire movie every time I watch it. Ernest's wife's description of the events of the previous night (when the spaceship hits the cow and the bug eats Ernest) is the best movie comedy.
In many respects, this is an elegantly done movie about a very simple theme; "I had a Farm in Africa". I tear up every time the lion sits on Robert Redford's grave at the end.
Thank you very much for allowing me to be a guest blogger today, Kristin. I appreciate it!

8 comments:
Jay do you have a "thing" for Tom Hanks? If you do, I have a "thing" for you. I LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE Tom. He's my fave. Ferris Bueller's Day Off-good choice. mm bowbow chickichiwah mm bowbow chickichiwah and so forth....
Good to hear from you Jay. Welcome to the Tom Hanks fan club-i thought Shauna and I were the only "crazy about Tom people". I cry EVERY time I watch Apollo 13 on TV..once they come through the clouds on to the screen. Good list...you reminded me that I need to rent Kite Runner.
Matthew here. "Good knowledge", as Gary Ratnich (Bay Area sportscaster legend)would say. Great movie reviews, other than MIB & Out of Africa you pretty much summed it up...and what you said about "The Kite Runner" was my exact thought coming away from that movie. Great review!!!...PS--Blazing Saddles was one of my favorites when I was young. I remember at age 11 or 12 running up to the neighbor girls with my brother and saying "Where are all the white women?" You should guest blog more often.
Jay-I loved your movie reviews. You've really got a thing for Tom, huh? That's ok, we all do. Matthew-your crazy and you make me laugh.
Jay, I have never met anyone else who knows about Duel! This is my moms all time favorite movie, and I remember her watching it on TV whenever it was on. I've seen it many times...and I always think about it when I'm driving by semi-trucks! I can't wait to watch MIB with you, and hear you "giggle like a school girl". You are too funny!
Cathy, you'll enjoy your mutual MIB experience. Jay starts giggling during the opening credits in anticipation of all the hilarity that's going to ensue.
Hey Cathy,
Duel for sure. Where else would I have learned to jam the accelerator with my briefcase!
Hi, I'd just like to take this opportunity to remind everybody that I did a review of my favorite movies, too, if anybody would like to take a look at it and COMMENT ON IT!! For cryin' out loud.
Post a Comment